This recipe is easy to make and involves simple ingredients. I used the recipe from the PC Cooking school as a reference and modified it to suit my kitchen.
Their recipe can be found here: http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/recipes/recipeslisting/avocado-lime-and-coconut-no-bake-cheesecake.html
- rolling pin
- hand blender
- electric mixer
- measuring cup (1/4 cup)
One of the big differences between my recipe and the PC one, is that I do not have a food processor. Well, I have one but I am not a fan of it. I chose, instead, to use a hand blender to mush up my avocado, a rolling pin to smash the graham crackers into itty bitty bits, and an electric hand mixer to do the mixing.
The other big difference is that I do not have a springform pan. I used a square Pyrex 9 x 9 inch glass dish instead. I chose the glass just so you can see the different layers.
I also skipped the raspberries and went for cranberries.
For the avocados, I used frozen. But, you can easily substitute with fresh avocado as well.
¾ cup (175 mL) shredded sweetened coconut
¾ cup (175 mL) graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup (50 mL) Unsalted Butter, melted
¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lime zest
2 pkg (each 250 g) cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
1 pkg (400 g) PC Avocado Chunks – Frozen, thawed
⅓ cup (75 mL) fresh lime juice
½ cup cranberries – frozen, thawed
If you only have graham crackers and not graham cracker crumbs, then I have a great kid activity for you! Put those crackers into a large Ziploc bag. Get out your rolling pin and help your child CRUSH those crackers into small pieces. They might get tired (because, hey – even I got tired). If you stand up you’ll get more leverage, making the crushing and rolling a bit easier.
- Toast coconut in toaster oven for 2 minutes at 300F, or dry frying pan over low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant. Toasting coconut will bring flavour out, but is not necessary. Set aside to cool.
- Stir together coconut, and graham cracker crumbs
- Mix in butter into coconut and graham cracker crumbs mixture
- Press mixture into bottom of 9×9 square Pyrex dish
- Chill for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix together lime juice and sugar until well mixed
- Add lime zest into lime juice and sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add cream cheese. Using an electric hand mixer, mix until creamy and not lumpy. TIP: If you hear that your motor is struggling, stop and change to manual mixing. You will need a more powerful mixer in future. Alternatively, you can use a food processor to process until smooth
- Add avocado and lime juice. Mix until completely smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over coconut-graham cracker crust and spread it evenly
- Cover and chill for 6 hours, or until set
- Serve with cranberries and top with cream, if desired
GAME CHANGER – FROZEN AVOCADO
Did you know that President’s Choice (PC Brand) packages frozen avocado chunks?! This new product makes it really easy and convenient to make guacamole or this avocado-lime cheesecake recipe. It’s not a perfect product – the chunks do still oxidize and have the brown colour – but considering how difficult it is to get avocados that are just perfectly ripe, I think PC has done a pretty good job with this product.